Ever wish there was an easier way to hire a mover? Let the King Moving pros in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex give you our best tips on how to avoid some common pitfalls.
1. Recommendations are Key. Ask anyone that you can, start with friends, family (maybe), coworkers, and real estate agents. Bigger is not always better. Websites that offer to help you find movers are usually to good to be true, so stay away.
2. Research and Screening is Worth the Effort. With your compiled list in place, start looking at info about each of the companies online. Make sure and check the Better Business Bureau (https://www.bbb.org/dallas/accredited-business-directory/movers/dallas-tx).
Be sure to check the consumer-advocacy sites such as movingscam.com or ripoffreport.com.
3. One Estimate is Never Enough. A nonbinding estimate generally can go up once the work is completed. Make sure to get multiple estimates and then dive into why there is such a big range in costs.
4. Don't Just Quickly Mention What Needs to be Moved. Make sure you give full disclosure so that there are no surprises, will they be contracting the work, how long has the company been in business, full name of company including doing business as, phone numbers, website, emails, references, Dept of Transportation and Motor Carrier license numbers,
5. Review in Detail. Is there an inventory list created when your goods are loaded, binding estimate and a signature of an officer of the company is helpful.
6. Stay Organized. Keep everything in one place, and do not lose any of it..
7. Did someone say License and Insurance. (Yes, there are movers who solicit business without the legal authority to do so.) Go to safesys.org, the website of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), and enter the company’s USDOT
8. Selection Time. The checks above should make you feel confident about any company. Confirm the dates and details of your move. Get an executed/signed order for service and a bill of lading.